10 July 2008

Publish new Haulbowline site investigation

Michael McGrath TD (FF) 10/7/08

Cork South Central Fianna Fáil T.D. Michael McGrath has called on the Minister for the Environment John Gormley T.D. to publish the report into the ongoing site investigation at Haulbowline Island as soon as it is completed. Deputy McGrath, along with his Cork Oireachtas colleagues, will be meeting Minister Gormley later today to discuss the ongoing site issues.

'I welcome the fact that White Young Green consultants are now on-site carrying out a detailed site investigation. I understand this investigation will be completed in approx. 4 weeks, and I will be asking the Minister to publish the report immediately.

'It is essential that the people living in the harbour area and the employees who work on or near the island are given reassurance that there is no risk to public health arising from the hazardous material on-site. This reassurance must be based on a comprehensive site investigation and I am pleased this work is now ongoing.

'I understand that Minister Gormley will be bringing a report to Cabinet on the future of the site. I am firmly of the view that local residents deserve to have full site remediation works carried out. There should be no long-term legacy of hazardous waste allowed to remain on the site.

'I will be conveying my concerns directly to Minister Gormley later today, and I will be asking him to continue to deal with this matter as a priority issue. I believe it is important that the forthcoming report is published promptly, and that the Department acts swiftly to implement any measures recommended by the consultants.

'The health, safety and welfare of local residents and people working on or near the island is my absolute priority, and I will ensure the Department continues to treat this issue with the priority it deserves,' stated Deputy McGrath.

Source

No comments: